Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Dear Grandma Tolman

I am close to losing you.  
Your body is shutting down.  
I heard today that your lungs have quit working 
and maybe your kidneys too.  

You are 91 years old and have been such a blessing in my life.
You are my shining beacon on the hill, now slowly fading away.
My one regret is not visiting you more often.
Business and distance are no excuse.

One of my great memories occurred this very weekend.
I answered your phone for you in quite a silly manner.
I enjoyed watching you trying not to laugh too hard,
an amusing twinkle in your eyes.

If now is your time to leave us, we give you our whole hearted blessing.
I will miss you dearly, but I think I understand.
I'm pretty sure Grandpa is waiting to hold your hand.
Eleven years is a long time to wait, but you are definitely ready.

I will miss your amazing example and endearing habits.
I will miss your homemade bread, cookies, cards and laugh.
Most of all I will miss you.  You are a precious treasure.
But thankfully, I will see you again.

Until then, Dear Grandma, I will cherish my copy of your journal.
I am glad for you.  You had a long and happy journey.
I love you Grandma, very much.

Love,
Your Very Grateful Granddaughter.


No comments: